Field Lubrication Training and Certification
This course will prepare you for working in field lubrication.
Learn More about FLCAT-I Training and Certification
FLCAT-I Candidate profile
This course is intended for the field lubrication practitioners that will:
- Perform daily lubrication tasks such as oil changes, top-ups, and greasing bearings.
- Lubricant receiving and dispensing.
- Lubricant storage and handling.
- Have working knowledge of applying the best lubrication practices and products.
- Knowledge of industry methods for selecting, storing, filtering, and testing lubricants to boost reliability and generate lasting results in machine availability and overall reliability.
- Understand oil analysis, which enables them to align their efforts with those of maintenance professionals or oil analysis experts.
- Technicians will learn to move away from outdated methods of vague, non-specific lubrication procedures and job plans, and implement an effective lubrication program in any industrial workplace.
FLCAT-I fast facts
- 30 hours, typically over four days
- Live public training course
- Live training course at your site
- Virtual live instructor-led online training course
- Self-paced online learning training course
- Training: ISO 18436-4
- Certification: ISO 18436-4, ISO/IEC 17024
- 70 multiple-choice questions
- 70% passing grade
- Can be taken online or in-person at the course
- Training course completed
- 12-months of work experience, (with a minimum of 16 hours per month in lubricant-analysis-based condition monitoring)
- Pass the exam
- Valid for 5 years
- Access to the “Learning Zone” upon registration and payment
- Complete set of videos covering every topic
- Online study is excellent way to be prepared and get the most from the course
- Continue to access the Learning zone for 4-months after the course or purchase Life Long Learning for lifetime access
- Continue learning, without charge, on Mobius CONNECT® via www.mobiusconnect.com
Why learn with Mobius Institute™?
There are four major reasons why over 8,000+ students choose Mobius Institute every year:
- We make complex topics simple with amazing 3D animations and simulations that make you say, “Ah, now I get it!”
- The Field Lubrication training course is inclusive of Machine Lubricant Analyst (MLA I) and Machinery Lubrication Technician (MLT I) topics.
- We give you access to the entire course before the class begins so you are better prepared, and for four months after the course, just in case you still have questions.
- We use anonymous, stress-free polling throughout the course, so you know if you truly understand each topic, and the instructor knows not to move on to the next topic – no student is left behind.
How can I take this course?
We offer the ultimate flexibility:
- PUBLIC: You can take the public, instructor-led course with other people like you – COMING SOON.
- VIRTUAL: You take the course from the comfort of your computer, with a live instructor guiding you through the course – COMING SOON.
- ON-SITE: You can invite the instructor to your site and save yourself the cost, hassle, and risk. You can find partners who can deliver the course here.
- VIDEO: You can have the ultimate in flexibility by watching the course online. You can watch it multiple times! You can place your order here.
What will you gain from taking this course?
There are so many benefits to taking this course. You will learn…
- The impact that best-in-class lubrication practices can have on machine health and reliability
- Why machine lubrication activities should be moved from modest and reactive to thorough, accurate and proactive
- And benefit from this course if your facility has any of the following equipment: blowers/fans, compressors, gas turbines, gearboxes, hydraulic systems, motor bearings, paper machines, process pumps, rolling mills and steam turbines
- How to manage lubricant delivery, storage, and dispensation.
- How to manage a route for machinery re-lubrication and/or inspection.
- To properly change and/or top up the oil in mechanical equipment found in common industrial sites.
- To use simple techniques to select lubricants with the proper base oil and additive system for machines commonly found in industrial settings.
- To use simple techniques to select grease application methods (including automated delivery) that are least intrusive and most effective for machines commonly found in industrial settings.
- To use simple techniques to estimate re-grease volumes and intervals for machines commonly operated in industrial settings.
- To properly maintain automatic lubrication systems (auto-grease, mist systems, etc.).
- To employ basic oil analysis techniques to identify and troubleshoot abnormal lubricant degradation conditions and use simple techniques to adjust the lubricant specification accordingly.
Why become certified by Mobius Institute Board of Certification?
- You should be recognized for your achievements; not everyone is up to the challenge of understanding lubrication, let alone successfully collecting data and utilizing it
- Being certified by Mobius Institute Board of Certification you can be confident in knowing that you are being certified in accordance with 18436-4
- The educational process is extremely valuable, but being certified tells an employer (or a consulting client) that you are capable of doing an important job
You will receive a digital certificate and personalized logo from our digital certification platform. Your personalized logo can be added to your email signatures and wherever else you want people to know about your achievements.
FLCAT-I training and certification requirements
All you need is a desire to learn and to succeed in your field. In order to be certified you must:
- Complete a MIBoC approved training course.
- Achieve 70% or higher on the certification exam (70 multiple choice questions, duration 2 hours).
- Have twelve (12) months of practical work experience (with a minimum of 16 hours per month in lubricant-analysis-based condition monitoring), verified by your supervisor/manager.
Certification is valid for 5 years.
If you do not have the experience, you will still receive a certificate, but you will not be officially certified. When you pass the 12-month milestone, please contact MIBoC to be upgraded to full certification.
A detailed list of training course topics
Here are the main topics covered on the FLCAT-I course inclusive of MLA/MLT topics:
- Maintenance strategies and the role of machine lubrication
- The science of machinery lubrication
- Wear modes
- Lubrication regimes
- Lubricant construction
- Mineral oils, synthetic oils, vegetable-based oils, grease and solid lubricants
- Lubricant performance properties
- Viscosity, flash point, antioxidants, detergents, friction modifiers
- Lubricant selection
- Oil vs grease vs solid vs gas
- Component types – bearings, gearboxes, hydraulics, ropes, chains and more
- Operating viscosity
- Lubricant application
- Grease and oil lubrication
- Delivery techniques
- The ‘lube route’
- Lubricant contamination and condition control
- Sources of contamination
- ISO 4406 cleanliness standard
- Avoiding contamination
- Lubricant storage and handling
- Storage guidelines
- Lubricant dispensing
- Lubrication sampling and analysis
- Sampling practices
- Lubricant health monitoring
- Wear debris and wear particle analysis
Frequently Asked Questions
Some of the more common questions regarding our FLCAT-I Field Lubrication course
WILL I RECEIVE PRE-COURSE STUDY MATERIALS?
Upon course registration all students will receive an instructional email with a link to the TMS (Training Management System) to finalize their course registration and student profile. Here you will access the applicable online Learning Zone under the training course tab in your student profile. The Learning Zone provides a digital version of the coursebook and also a series of folders containing movies. These movies are actual course videos, recorded in a studio, and contain similar content taught in the Instructor-led course. The Learning Zone account may be used for pre-course study, review during the course week, and reference after the course. The account is activated at the time the student registers for the course and expires 4-months after the last day of the training.
WHAT IS A LEARNING ZONE ACCOUNT?
Every student will receive a link to the TMS (Training Management System) where they are able to access their personal Learning Zone. The account provides a digital version of the coursebook and also a series of videos. These videos contain the same content taught in the Instructor-led course. The Learning Zone account may be used for pre-course study materials, review during the course week, reference after the course, or used to re-take the course and re-sit your certification exam. The account is activated at the time the student registers for the course and expires 4 months after the close date of the course they will be attending.
DO YOU OFFER UNLIMITED LEARNING ACCESS?
Yes, learn forever with Mobius Institute “Life Long Learning”.
Receive access to video training for a lifetime for a nominal fee as a past, present, and future Mobius Institute student. Life Long Learning applies to all students, whether you attend public or onsite training or purchase an online distance learning. To upgrade, either select the Life Long Learning Upgrade option using this link – Life Long Learning Upgrade Link or contact your training partner directly.
CAN I BUY THE LEARNING ZONE ACCOUNT AND USE IT TO STUDY FOR THE CERTIFICATION EXAM?
No, but we do offer Category I Distance Learning (DL) course which is the online equivalent to our Public course. The cost is the same as attending a Public course, the training material content is fully ISO 18436 compliant and you will be qualified to take the Certification Exam once you have completed the DL course.
You will find the distance learning course on our shopping cart.
DO YOU OFFER ON-SITE INSTRUCTOR LED COURSES?
Yes, we can provide this training onsite at your facility or any other training facility of your choice.
If you are in North America, Australia, or New Zealand, please email the number of students to firstname.lastname@example.org for a quotation. Outside of these areas, contact your local training partner here.
MAY I TAKE ONE OF YOUR COURSES IF I AM NOT INTERESTED IN BECOMING CERTIFIED OR IF I HAVE INSUFFICIENT EXPERIENCE FOR CERTIFICATION?
Yes, our courses are open to anyone that wishes to improve their knowledge. If you are involved in any of the technologies in any capacity, such as sales, marketing, engineering, design, or reliability, you will come away with a far better understanding. All attendees receive certificate of training completion.
AFTER I ATTEND YOUR COURSE AND TAKE THE EXAM, WHEN WILL I RECEIVE NOTIFICATION AS TO WHETHER I PASSED, AND WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY CERTIFICATE?
You will receive notification of your results 5-10 days after the exam has been received at our Australian office. If you have passed the exam and met all certification requirements, you will receive your digital certificate 10-15 days after your exam results notification email.
WHAT ARE THE EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS FOR FLACAT-I?
You must have twelve (12) months of practical work experience (with a minimum of 16 hours per month in lubricant-analysis-based condition monitoring). You will be asked to nominate an independent person who can verify that you have that experience.
HOW LONG IS THE CERTIFICATION VALID?
FLACAT-I Field Lubrication Analyst certification is valid for five (5) years.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR RENEWAL?
Once you have purchased your certification renewal, the Renewals Team will be advised of your payment. You will then receive an email of the outstanding requirements needed to proceed with your application. You can assist us in this process by logging in here to your TMS student account to ensure your profile details are current by completing the following:
- Enter a new work experience record that you accomplished over the past 5 years for lubrication since your certification was issued. (your experience is required to be verified by your current and/or previous managers)
- Agreed to the MIBoC Code of Ethics Document
- Agreed to the MIBoC Renewal Declaration
HOW DO I RENEW MY CERTIFICATION?
You will purchase your certification renewal, the Renewals Team will be advised of your payment. You will then receive an email of any outstanding information required within your TMS student account to proceed with your application.